Friday, December 2, 2011

On My Kindle: Legend by Marie Lu

I finished re-reading the Hunger Games (that's what the new movie trailers and posters did to me!) and couldn't decide what my next book would be. Then I read on one of my favorite literary agent's blog, Pubrants, about Legend.

I was still in the mood for reading a YA dystopian novel and the kindle sample sold me. Hard.

The novel switches between the perspectives of its two main characters, June and Day. These two teenagers represent opposite ends of a dystopic Los Angeles' spectrum. Los Angeles has been flooded and now suffers from various plagues, is run by Republic and its elite officers while warring with the colonies.

June is of the elite, Day is a sought after criminal. They are unlikely to cross paths until the day June's world falls apart. Her brother is murdered and Day is his killer. June is now all alone. Her parents died in a car crash years ago and her brother was her world. June wants to hunt Day.

Day is on the run from the law but he watches over his family as much as can. His life changes when his former home is marked with an unusual sign of the plague. He is uncatchable but when a cure to the plague is offered to him he slips up.

June and Day are entwined in each other's lives and together they discover society's darkest secrets and the unimaginable way everyone has been forced to live their lives.

I read Legend in ONE day. Enough said.

Okay - a lot to be said. It's a page turner and the way Lu creates each scene, character and the new world it jumps out at you. Like Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games (inevitable comparison but I don't think they are too similar) and Ally Carter's Heist Society, Legend is cinematic. I read it as if I was seeing it on a big screen. The twists and turns are sometimes expected but not terribly obvious.

I fell in love with June and Day; separately and together. They are sympathetic yet fierce characters. Brilliant yet normal.

This novel reminds me most of Divergent; especially the ending. I can't wait to read the next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment