Monday, January 30, 2012

Different Sides of the Same Conversation

Last night I watched The Romantics. I watched it because, well, everyone is a little more fucked up in it than I am.

Lila, the bride, played by Anna Paquin has a discussion with her groom, Tom, played by Josh Duhamel, because he is having a pre-wedding freak out. Probably has something to do with the fact he's still in love with the maid of honor. Anyhow . . .

I have definitely been on both sides of this conversation. Have you?

Tom: "Why is emotion some kind of mental illness with you?
Lila: "It is when you indulge in it all the time.
Don't you think I want to freak out?
Don't you think I want to lose my shit?
Why do you get to be the one who drinks too much, that says scandalous shit things, that has wild mood swings?
Does it ever occur to you that those are freedoms afforded to you by me?
Does it ever occur to you that my emotions are just as intense?
I just work harder to control them."
Tom: "Why? You don't have to. I wish you would lose it more."
Lila: "Who? Who should I lose it to, you?
My mom?
My brother?
You?
Take a look around you, Tom, someone got to keep their cool."

And then she screams.

No comments:

Post a Comment