Thursday, January 26, 2012

On Happiness

I was in a not-so-great place a couple of months ago and came to the conclusion that I was scared to be happy. Sidebar: I am happy these days :)

My reason?

I don't know how I would handle it if I was unbelievably happy and it all went away.
OR
What would I do if I did everything to be happy but wasn't?

These conclusions lead to several discussions with my close friends. Some friends said that it was common fear; not unusual at all. One friend said that her father told her that she was scared to be happy/wouldn't let herself. Then a very wise friend make a valid point: that it is ridiculous.

Well, she didn't say that exactly.

She basically said that even when you are really happy and all the pieces are in place, something will still come up. That perpetual happiness is a myth. I already knew this and I needed a reminder.

I'm not scared to be happy anymore. I am also taking an active role to do things that make me happy.
Brad Pitt summed it up nicely, too (via THR):

"This idea of perpetual happiness is crazy and overrated, because those dark moments fuel you for the next bright moments; each one helps you appreciate the other," he says. "We are all searching for meaning in our lives, love and betterment for ourselves and those around us."

No comments:

Post a Comment