Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Advice: From Hiring Managers to Job Seekers

I love job seeking advice. It's kind of an addiction because every time I see an article featured on msn.com's home page or some place else, I can't help but to click. When I checked out 24 Seven Talent's facebook wall, I saw a link to this article: 21 Things Hiring Managers Wish You Knew.

Some of the tips were obvious because I've cooridnated onsite interviews and phone screens and have witnessed a hiring manager's reaction to candidates that arrive more than 5 minutes early, fail to send a thank you note or treat the phone screen too informally (tip #15, 4, 9 respectively).

New suggestions that I've filed away for later are: hiring managers may check references beyond the list of references a candidate supplies, they want to know your real weaknesses, and candidates should address their overqualifactions in a cover letter if applicable (tip #11, 6, 7 respectively).

It's a great article to brush up on job seeking etiquette from a hiring perspective. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment