Saturday, September 24, 2011

Great Evening: Dinner with Robbie and Free Concert with Amber Rubarth

Last night Robbie and Kaz came over to check out my new digs, I showed them my amazing rooftop and then we headed to check some Chinese free event thing in Times Square. It was okay and Robbie and I were starving so after wandering a bit in HK and debating what we didn't want to eat - no Thai or Italian - we decided on El Centro. We each had tacos and margaritas (we're not from San Diego, are we?!). Everything was pretty tasty, nothing like home but what I've gotten used to as "Mexican;" it's like fresh tex-fancy-mex with a hint of foodie. It was a really nice evening. A great time to catch up. So thanks for that Robbie :).

I almost walked home when I remembered that Amber Rubarth was playing a free show at Lincoln Center's David Rubenstein Atrium. Years ago, I fell in love with two of Amber's songs - Pushing Away and Amazing, so I was really glad I remembered the show. I walked there and only caught the tail end of a great show. The setting was really intimate and reminded me of The Sky Church at the EMP in Seattle. Amber's voice sounds amazing live and I loved the new songs I heard.

Therefore: I bought her new cd:


I met Amber when I bought her cd, told her how much I enjoyed the show, explained that I got there and asked if she played Amazing or Pushing Away, she hadn't but said for me to email her about the next show I go to and she'll make sure to play them. How rad is that?

I talked to my mom on my walk home and it was the perfect way to end a great evening.

Turns out the free show is thanks to Target as part of their Target Free Thursdays (like I needed another reason to love Tar-jey!).

Rebecca and I are going to go to the show next week because it features Kaumakaiwa Kanaka‘ole from Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment