Tuesday, September 27, 2011

TV Obsession: Suits

Every once in awhile I watch a television show that has cultivated a world I wish I inhabited.

This is the case with Suits.

Harvey Specter played by Gabriel Macht and Mike Ross played by Patrick J. Adams
I started watching Suits because a) seemed similar to White Collar and b) Gabriel Macht is HOT.

Side note -  I loved him in Because I Said So. 

I caught the pilot when it premiered and then my crazy work schedule sans DVR got in the way of me following the show religiously. I managed to catch it every once in awhile. Recently, I watched a few episodes back to back and got OBSESSED.

I kind of really want to be Harvey Specter. I want to be a good looking, HOT, cocksure son-of-a-bitch with the sharp intellect to back up my arrogance. Oh and I care, too just not too much.

I identify with his protege, Mike Ross, and would rather date him than Harvey. Plus I love that he has a touch of geekiness and eagerness in him.

If I'm going to be an admin/executive assistant I would want to be Donna; Harvey's right arm. Harvey can't live without her, she anticipates his needs, they enjoy a bantering relationship I'd want with my boss, she's in a position of power, she's valued and can call him on his shit. She's portrayed as intelligent which is true of so many admins yet rare in its protrayal.

A part of me wants to be Jessica Pearson, managing partner of founder of the firm Harvey and Mike work at, but she's someone I want to grow up to be, maybe.

The only other central character I haven't mentioned yet is the paralegal that Mike couldn't live without, Rachel. I don't think I'd want to be her because I already am. Doing a job and doing it well but not the ideal career - she wants to be a lawyer. With the exception that a) she probably makes more money than I do and b) there's no fun mutually attracted co-worker to befriend.

I enjoy the characters and the dynamic of the world they inhabit as well as with each other.

I also enjoy the storyline born from the cases they take. The cases are obvious foils to character arcs and development but that's a mark of a good television show like Ally McBeal, White Collar, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, etc.

Something interesting about Suits, that I just didn't give much thought to because it's not as obvious like say Sons of Anarchy or Mad Men, it's dude's show. Guys love Suits. Gotta say I agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment